Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Friday, August 30, 2013

UNDER THE WINGS OF EAGLES

It's about 5:00 am back home today, August 30, 2013. Here in Grand Rapids, Michigan, home of this year's American Dahlia Society (ADS) National Show, it's after 8:00 am, and I am having a leisurely cup, brewed in my in-room single serving coffee maker. I so rarely have the time to just sit and catch up on things - I hardly know what to do with myself! This respite will not last long, however. A little later this morning, I will be going up to Meijer Gardens to pick up my show materials, and I suspect that once I do that, the pace of my life will definitely increase.

When I was a little kid, the dahlia world was full of people who always seemed happy to see my family and me. When we would walk into any show or meeting, we would always be swarmed by folks, often with a load of dahlias in one arm, and a welcoming hug in the other! It was nearly 50 years before I joined my own dahlia club, jumping into the fray as a grower and exhibitor. After joining the Federation of Northwest Dahlia Growers (FNWDG), I discovered that things had changed very little in the 5 decades since I first showed up at dahlia shows with Dad and Mom. From my first meeting on, I have regularly been embraced and welcomed whenever I have shown up in my local dahlia world, whether at meetings, workshops or shows. If there is anything more addictive than always feeling at home anywhere, I haven't found it. Many of us have said "You come for the flowers, but you stay for the people." This is more true now than ever, especially in light of an experience I had a couple weeks ago in my hometown of Everett, Washington. I had my purse and all its contents stolen, torn right off my shoulder as I was walking into the dahlia show at a park that was as familiar to me as my own home. It happened in broad daylight, in a full parking lot that happened to be totally deserted, except for me and the thief. Not one to be easily shaken, I was quite shocked and upset when arrived in the building. Fortunately I was not hurt, except for an abrasion/bruise on the back of my arm, but I was stunned, and couldn't get my brain about me enough to figure out what to do next. Enter my dahlia brothers and sisters! I could go on and on about how wonderful these people were, offering me help of whatever kind I might need in a situation like this. But suffice to say that if I had to have something bad happen to me, there was no group I would rather be around than these people. I can never thank them enough for all the support I received from them, both tangible and intangible. Not only can they flat-out grow gorgeous dahlias, they can provide comfort and hope as well as anyone in the world.

With that experience behind me, and my vigilance sharpened, I have arrived in Grand Rapids, ready to spend s few days in the heaven known as a dahlia show, with angels known as dahlia folks. They are the eagles who have taken me under their wings, and have made it possible for me to soar right along with them! I will try to keep everyone up-to-date as to the happenings each day, and will be posting pictures along the way. Talk to you later.....
Bernie Wilson's new seedling, Lakeview Blush, as shown at the 2013
Puget Sound Dahlia Association show in Shoreline, Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment