Everything Grows

In 1964, our family moved to the Wenatchee Valley. My dad, Tony DeRooy, had just been hired as the first Landcape Supervisor at Rocky Reach Dam. Prior to that, he had worked for the Great Northern Railroad as the third of only three (ever) Superintendents of Parks. He had followed in the footsteps of my grandfather, Arie DeRooy, who had the position from 1934 until his death at Many Glacier Lodge on August 8, 1951. Growing plants, flowers and children was their life work. Anyone who knew these men, as well as the women who have stood faithfully by (thanks, Mom!) recognized their passion. This blog will be concerned mainly with dahlia and garden thoughts, but will also discuss things that are happening in the beautiful valleys, plains and mountains that we know as North Central Washington.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

LEGACY - THE GIFT OF OUR FATHERS

I have been writing an irregular column for the Wenatchee World,  and recently found myself really struggling to get the time to do it. The reasons are many, but mostly it was due to the 'busyness' of dahlia season - tuber work parties, tuber sales, garden preparation, planting, cleaning up the club garden, committee work for the ADS show and our local show - it seemed like there just wasn't the right combination of time and energy to get my column written. Maybe this was because I didn't really want to write about dahlia growing - I wanted to write about the concept of "legacy." In March of this year, I went to the Wenatchee Valley Chamber's annual banquet,  where  the third annual Legacy Award was presented to Kathy and Wilfred Woods. Wilf and his family are the founders, publishers, editors and managers of our local daily newspaper for over a hundred years. Besides the obvious legacy that one can create through the power of the press, Wilf and especially his wife Kathy, have been greatly influential in establishing infrastructures and opportunities for the performing arts in the Wenatchee Valley. Their work and their presence in our community cried out to be recognized with this very prestigious award. I have the greatest respect for Wilf and I truly love Kathy, who is one of the dearest people I have ever met.  Being there when they received this well-earned Legacy Award was a great honor for me.

This wasn't the first time that the concept of legacy had woven through my brain like an earworm - I really first started thinking about it in September of 2012, when I took my first walk through the developing Pybus Market site. Mike Walker was leading the tour through the building and he shared his dream and vision for Pybus. He and his wife JoAnn had been talking for some time about how best to express their gratitude and love for the Wenatchee Valley. Decades ago, they had relocated to Wenatchee to establish their businesses, and immediately knew that they were HOME. When the concept of establishing a permanent home for the Wenatchee Valley Farmer's Market as well as a business hub on the Columbia Riverfront gained momentum, the Walkers realized that they could make it happen by contributing the resources necessary to make the project happen.  Seeing this as a public/private enterprise, the Port of Chelan County and the City of Wenatchee had successfully advanced the conversation, but found that the project  but was still almost $3,000,000 short of reality.  The Walkers made a decision to make this financial contribution, and to take a hands-on approach in the development work.  They saw this as  the perfect avenue for them to leave a permanent gift to the community they loved. The Pybus Public Market would become their legacy.

Since that day almost two years ago, I have seen examples of legacy all around me. and have thought a lot about what I might leave for future generations. That line of inquiry led me directly to my father and his father before him. I couldn't help expanding their work and their passion to others who create beauty in their worlds, often in public spaces such as parks and businesses. As my workload at the gardens lightened, I was finally able to pull my thoughts together and get them down on paper. The column wasn't quite as I had imagined, but I finished it and sent it in. Today, Father's Day, it appeared in the Sunday edition,. As I read it, I was surprised to recognize it as a tribute to my father. He established a legacy that lives on in gardens and growers all over the state of Washington, and especially in North Central Washington. I realize that I am embracing his legacy every time I do the things he did in his gardens. I think he would be very happy to see that the column that accidentally became a Father's Day tribute has resulted from his labor of love throughout his lifetime. Thanks, Pop, and Happy Father's Day with all my love!!


No comments:

Post a Comment